What has my relationship with students got to do with your self care?
Glad you asked!!!!
The better your relationship with the students hopefully the less issues you will have with them!!!
And this should bring you both to the point of smiles all round!
So how do we build this relationship?
- Always welcome them with a smile.
- Say hello, using their name.
- When their culture is different to yours find ways to acknowledge it. This could be to do with family’s race or religion.
- Discover their likes and dislikes-T.V. shows, sport, books, and other interests. Then try and find out little tidbits about these things.
- Search for their strengths-then give them encouragement in these areas. It may be they’re good at football-ask how their team played. If they won give them a high five. If they lost find a way to encourage better luck next time. If they keep loosing you may need to find another strength lol.
- When you begin a session with your students, especially a one on one time, take a few minutes and ask them how they are and how the day is going. This will need to be done with open ended questions otherwise you’ll only get a shrug. (We’ll look at this in more detail later).
- Make sure you actually listen to them. This is called ‘active listening’. (Again we’ll look at this in more detail later).
Hopefully these hints will make your job a bit easier and less stressful. Oh to go home with a smile on you face and a spring in you step!!!!